Subject: Vermont Tax Information for Town Clerks
To: Town Clerk:
In a review of income tax filings during 2017, we found about 65% of Vermont taxpayers qualified to file their federal and state taxes for free through Vermont Free File, but only about 2% of those eligible actually used Free File. Once again, we are enlisting your help to distribute Vermont tax information to your community. We particularly want to get the word out about free tax help available to eligible Vermonters.
Free help is offered through several organizations. This year, we are emphasizing free tax services and assistance for eligible Vermonters through Vermont Free File, MyFreeTaxes, VITA/TCE, the AARP Foundation, and the IRS Agent Virtual Delivery Service.
As usual, we also are publicizing how to obtain paper forms. Requests for paper forms continue to decline as more taxpayers e-file their returns, but we recognize there is a still a need for those who prefer to file using paper forms or who do not have access to a computer and the internet.
This year, we have two color posters and a bookmark with information about free tax help and how to get paper forms. If you received a packet of similar materials (along with a Vermont Income Tax Return Booklet) in the mail last year, expect to receive them again.
These resources are also available online on our website:
- Color poster: Free Tax Help for Vermonters
- Color poster: 4 Ways to Get Your Vermont Income Tax Forms
- Bookmarks (2 sides): Free Tax Help for Vermonters/4 Ways to Get Your Vermont Income Tax Forms
- 2017 Income Tax Return Booklet—Coming soon at http://tax.vermont.gov/tax-forms-and-publications/individuals
Taxpayers may also find the following online through myVTax at www.myvtax.vermont.gov:
- File a Homestead Declaration
- File a Property Tax Adjustment Claim
- File a Renter Rebate Claim
- Generate a Landlord Certificate
- Check the Status of Your Return
Thank you for helping us distribute Vermont tax information to your community.
Lynette Kemp | Tax Education Supervisor
Policy, Outreach, and Legislative Affairs | Vermont Department of Taxes